Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

How long does it take to do a property search?

How long does it take to do a property search? We are in the process of buying a house and it is taking a long time. The solicitor says this is normal, but I am concerned.

Have you had the purchase process explained to you - I ask because a Property Search is not in fact a major part of the process.
What has happened so far?
Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Its complicated, I suffer with depression and basically stopped opening post last Christmas. I didnt pay any bills and we were evicted on 19th July. The house is in my name only, with a mortgage of approx £55k and a £33k second charge. My husband is in the process of buying the house from me, redeeming my mortgage and paying back about £20k of the second charge, the rest of which is being paid back as a separate arrangement. The building society have the house on the market for £90k now and it is still being marketed, we have been going round in circles since July. My husband has his mortgage approved and it is ready to go. I have filled in a sellers form, and he has filled in his paperwork. I have paid about £500 so far to the solicitor.

Have you got separate solicitors?
Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No we are using the one recommended to us by the people who have the second charge, The Macfarlane Trust, my late husband was a beneficiary, they were set up to help haemophiliacs who were infected with HIV from contaminated blood products given to them by the NHS. When my first husband died i inherited his bankruptcy debt, which the MFT paid and put the second charge on the house. The solicitor seems to run two different companies, I have letter heads from them both, they are run by the same people and based at the same address.

What are telling your husband about timescale?
Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He isn't, he is being very evasive and will not give a time scale, other than approx 4 weeks, which is almost up. The building society want me to redeem the acc by this Frid, as it has been going on for so long, I have told him this, and that the house is still being marketed and viewed but he said I am slowing him down by asking questions. It came to a head on Friday and I have not been in touch since because he does not answer my questions and I am "wasting his time" !

Is he the senior partner in the firm?
Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes he is a Director, why?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi I am finishing work now. I am available on my mobile 07970 502397, I can not get on line at my in laws which is where we are living at the moment because her dial up connection is down due to weather.

Given all that you have said this is clearly not a transaction that should take an excessive amount of time - yet it is clearly doing so.
If he will no longer speak to you then I suggest that your husband deals with the future contact
You can also consider making a formal complaint to the Com-laints partner at the practise
Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How long would a search take in normal circumstances?

That rather depends on what the search is - are they referring to a "Local Search"
Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

not sure, they referred to them as searches? I think I should phone up again, but he is very difficult, not friendly or helpful

There are a number of searches that have to be done - some take days some take weeks and even that can depend on your local area
The only way forward is for your husband to phone ans ask what is happening since it is his side that needs the searches
Claire