How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2457
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Am i able to rent a property on a joint tenancy with a friend,

Customer Question

Am i able to rent a property on a joint tenancy with a friend, another female, she has two children i have 1 and claim housing benefit. I am a third year university student , my friend works but is on a lower income and will need to claim some housing benefit. i suppose what i'm asking is; are we considered as one or do we look to rent according to our room allowance price. In london , the tenancy will be in joint names and she will be paying the deposit.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 5 years ago.
Thank your for your question. I will try to help with this.

What type of contract is it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.



A standard one year short-term tenancy, we will both be put on the contract as joint tenants. Housing benefit is capped for families to 400 a week in london, but this is as a couple, which we are not. I need to know if before going in to the contract if i will be considered with my son as a room rate in the shared property, and if she and two children are considered under the room rate. this makes a difference to us in being able to afford a property to rent as london has become so expensive.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 5 years ago.
Sorry if I'm missing the point but you propose to take out a shared house but only one of you will apply for housing benefit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


We will both apply seperatley but will be joint tenants.As a student i am under a bursary and entitled to help with the rent from housing benefit, my friend works but has two children on a lower income so she will be applying for assistance towards the cost of rent. we would

like to be considered as sharers in any claim put forward otherwise if considered as a family which we are not, we will be capped to a joint 400

per week, and will not be able to get a property to house us all in london for this price. currently my entitlement is for 2 beds 290 a week is the LHA for me , my friend LHA 340 per week , as you can see seperatley we can rent a property up to 630 a week which although seems alot for london this will acheive a four bed house for us to live in.If jointly considered as a family our allowance is 400 per week , so the same question is are we considered separatley or jointly.

kind regards

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 5 years ago.
OK. I will have to look at the new rules as its recently changed. If you give me about 45 mins I will be clear and able to do so?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


hello did you manage to get an answer for me yet?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but I've opted out of this question and passed it onto somebody else for you.

I don't have the new benefit rules with me at the moment and I won't until I get home tonight.

I have asked somebody else to look at this as they may get to it faster than I can.