How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am in a joint tenancy agreement with someone and she has

This answer was rated:

I am in a joint tenancy agreement with someone and she has decided that I should move out but is not giving me adequate notice to do so. I am currently looking for alternative accomodation but have not found anything suitable.She is threatening to force me to move because she says when we moved in she is the one who paid the deposit and therefore the flat is hers rather than jointly ours.


What are my rights?


Are you named as joint tenants on the tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Tom

Yes we are named as joint tenants on the tenancy agreement

Thanks for your patience.

If you are jointly named on the tenancy agreement and do not consent to her attempting to get rid of you then you are under no legal obligation to leave the property.

Where two people are jointly named on a tenancy agreement then each has an equal right of access to the property unless there is a court order stating that one should not have access to the property following either civil or criminal court proceedings.

Unless you specifically agreed before entering the tenancy that she will have the right to remove you when she wants because of the deposit then you cannot be legally evicted by her.

You can stay. If she locks you out and refuses to let you back in then it would be an illegal eviction for which you could sue and recover damages or regain access to the property

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,