How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

hello, my father has recently passed away, he made a will leaving

This answer was rated:

hello, my father has recently passed away, he made a will leaving his house and belongings to his 3 children (my brother, my sister and I ...)but my mothers name (his ex-wife's name) is on the deeds of the house. Do we get his half putting our name on the deeds or is it all hers?

Was the property held by your mother and father as "joint tenants" or "tenants in common" before he passed away?

Is your mother alive? If no, please state who inherited your mother's estate?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My mother and father divorced about 15 years ago, she then moved to live in spain and got remarried there, she is still alive, i'm not sure about the tenancy info with regards XXXXX XXXXX the property was held...


Thanks for your patience.

There are two ways of holding interests in a property. Whether you inherit will depend on how your mother and father held their interests.

You can check by downloading a copy of the register for the property from the Land Registry by paying a £4.00 fee:-

Look at the propreitorship register of the title you have downloaded from the Land Registry (where the proprietors of the property are listed). If the following entry is immediately below the named registered proprietors then the interests are held as tenants in common:-

" No disposition by a sole propreitor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Court"

If there is no such entry then the property is held as joint tenants.

If the property was held as joint tenants then your father’s share would pass automatically to your mother. This is regardless of if his Will says that it should go to you/siblings. If this is the case and you mother wants to keep your father’s share then you need to see a solicitor about contesting this.

If the property was held as tenants in common then his share of the property (but not your mother’s share) would pass to you and your siblings.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That entry was not there, so my mother gets the lot!

My father had no legal advice when making his will and thought it was enough just to make his intention known for it to be fulfilled, he and my mother really didn't get on and if he knew this was to be the outcome on his demise i'm sure he would of hung on...the house is worth £235,000


I will answer at 9