How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Is it legal to issue a tenant with a "tenancy agreement" on

Customer Question

Is it legal to issue a tenant with a "tenancy agreement" on a property that does not have a current "building completion certificate" issued by the local council planning department?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

You could rent the property but bare in mind two things:
1. If the council finds out you could be subject to an Enforcement Notice from building control and forced to remove the tenant;
2. If you are forced to remove the tenant you may be in breach of your tenancy agreement.

If there is a problem with obtaining the completion I would consider taking out and indemnity insurance policy against this risk before completing tenancy agreement.

Can I be of any further assistance?

Kind regards