How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

I own my house with my friend, we have a joint mortgage, and

This answer was rated:

I own my house with my friend, we have a joint mortgage, and are tenants in common with me owning slightly more as I put down the deposit. This year in June he had a bit of a 'breakdown' he went to Thailand, I thought for a couple of months, but now he said he's not coming back. He has left credit card debt of £10,000. and there have been letters from a solicitor saying they will take him to court. I am just about managing the mortgage, but could not get the mortgage on my own as I do not earn enough. So it remains in joint names, but comes from my account. He has agreed to do whatever I want. I am concerned that they will be able to take his credit card debt, which far exceeds any equity in the house even though half of it should be mine? can I buy him out or even sell while he is out of the country? Will I be safe from his debts if I own the house or will it still affect me?
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Yes you can buy him out even while he is out of the country.

But the lender would have to agree to him being removed from the mortgage.

Your friend would also need to sign some documents probably in relation to the mortgage but also in relation to transferred the land into your sole name.

As for the credit card debt, if they get a County Court Judgment then they could apply to register that charge on the property.

This would have the effect of charging his share of the property with the debt.

So if this is going to happen you would do well buying him out before any claim is issued.

Once the property is in your sole name they would not be able to register a charge against the house.

But in any event the charge would only be in his share.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thankyou for you help, guess I'll get on with it then :)

Type a follow-up message to re-engage your customers and find out if they'd like to ask a new question.

e.g. Hi Barbara, how is your dog doing? Is there anything else I can help with?

Tip: You can create reusable templates to save time.