How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

A tenant of mine on a periodic tenancy has vacated the premises

This answer was rated:

A tenant of mine on a periodic tenancy has vacated the premises with no notification to myself. How ever we are told he has taken a tenancy with another landlord, what notices do we have to serve if any to take back the property


Dave Andrews
How do you know he has vacated? Are you the landlord?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes I am the landlord and his new property landlord as confirmed he his now a tenant with them.

Has he moved all his stuff out completely?

Have you spoken to the tenant?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have not been in the premises for fear of legal reprisal, The tenant as avoided all contact. I also forgot to mention he is £900.00 in arrears with his rent top up.

You do right to be

The quickest way is
to knock on his door and ask him to sign a surrender document although he can
always argue that he signed it under pressure/duress.

Other than that you
must go through the usual s8 or s21 procedures.

This article
explains a little more.

It might be worth
condiering letting him off some or all of rent arrears if he agrees to sign now
rather than rack up more arrears and you have to chase him for money he owes

Can I help further?

Please bear with
me today because I will be online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Thank you.

James Mather and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If the tenant signs the deed of surrender can I stil pursue him for the outstanding rent monies he owes.

Of course unless you agreed to "sign here and I will drop rent arrears"