How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

We are thinking of running residential courses from our farm

Customer Question

We are thinking of running residential cooking courses from our farm house in the new forest for ocassional weekends with max 6 people staying. what are the regs surrounding this and what would we need to do?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Depending exactly on what it is you want to do, you may require planning permission for a change of use (running a business from home) and it is likely you will also need various certificates required for running, in effect, a B&B. These will be issued by your local council and possibly also by the fire brigade (fire safety). You will also need consent from the council's environmental health department as you'll be serving and preparing food. This will likely mean you'll need to bring you kitchen up to commercial standards (stainless steel tops, ventilation etc). Y suggestion is that you contact your local Council's planning office and ask for a meeting with them to discuss your precise plans. They should be happy to help sort this out so you can make an informed decision as whether or not to proceed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This answer is a little vague - what exactly is the ruling? I thought that under 6 people gave some dispensation or leeway? Do we require an official change of use and could we get public liability etc insurance without it? What are the rules around a fire certificate - i didnt think it was necessary for occasional use under 6 people? The EHO would surely only be interested if we were producing food in volume for public resale or consumption? In reality would we face many issues if we had a few people staying twice a month?

Expert:  WendyW-Mod replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!