How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am buying a new build 999 year leasehold flat , with a mortgage.

Customer Question

I am buying a new build 999 year leasehold flat , with a mortgage. Please could you tell me what the situation is regarding the registration of the lease at the land registry. I have a very nasty and vindictive ex partner who spends her life searching these bodies to find me, I was told I could hold the registration for 5 years before I needed to legally have the lease registered. Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
What are you hoping to achieve here?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

did you manage to find any information out ?

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

will usually be a covenant in the lease which specifically say that you have to
register the lease in within a certain number of days. Even if it
is not specifically mentioned, you are under a duty to do so in any event. If
you do not, freeholders are likely to compel you to register it.

addition, you will be in breach of your mortgage conditions which is really
heavy stuff. The solicitor will refuse not to register the property because it
also is in the interests of the lender and the mortgage and your name is registered
at the same time.

afraid that what you are hoping to achieve is impossible on these facts

cannot see why you are bothered because it is not possible for the public to
search a name to find an address from Land Reg, only search a given address to get the name. There are lots of other ways of finding out
where someone lives as a private investigation/tracing agency will generally
find most people (we use them often) as they often access to various other records.

the ex-partner finds you and starts giving you aggravation then simply refer
the matter to the police with a view to having her warmed under the Protection
from Harassment Act

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today and
over any weekends because I will be online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange