How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Resident Landlord Agreement?

This answer was rated:

We plan to rent our annexe to a tenant and have been advised we need a Resident Landlord Tenancy Agreement as there is an adjoining door to our house. The door will be lockable both sides. How does this agreement differ from the standard AST? Thank you Rachel

Thank your for your question. I will try to help with this.

A resident landlord tenancy agreement is used where you share amenities with a tenant.

An AST is for a property that is exclusively occupied by the tenants.

Under a resident landlord agreement you occupy part of the property as a licensee and you have far fewer rights but also fewer obligations.

You will find quite a good article on the point here

But basically if a tenant will share amenities with you then this is a RLTA situation. If its a self contained annexe then its an AST.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your answer but I am still confused because the annexe is totally self contained and we will not be sharing any amenities but it happens to be part of the same building with an adjoining door. One lettings Agent advised an AST and the other advised a Resident Landlord agreement. I dont want to do the wrong thing. I look forward to your reply.



Does the annexe have a separate entrance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. It has a totally separate entrance. It also has an adjoining internal door which links to the main house.

If there is a separate entrance and the flat is totally self contained with a lockable door between you then you should be using an AST.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Thank you.

No problem. All the best.