How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

who has the deeds to my property

Customer Question

who has the deeds to my property
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

When did you purchase your property please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

july 1983

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Have you remortgaged since then? If so, please state when..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I assume there have been no changes of ownership since you purchased the property (ie. transfers from one owner to two perhaps, or vice versa)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no changes in ownership

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

In the first instance I would check to ensure that your property is not registered with the Land Registry, simply to be sure. When properties are bought and sold not it is compulsory for them to be registered upon completion of the sale, but it was only voluntary at the time you bought you property.

You can check by searching here for a small fee on the land registry website:-!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

If you cannot find your property then you will have to search for deeds. They should be:-
1. Either with you. Your solicitor may have sent them to you following completion.;
2. With your lender of your mortgage when you purchased the property. Sometimes back then the lender required that the solicitor acting for you in the purchase sent them to deeds for safekeeping.
3. If they are not with 1 or 2 above then you have to refer back to the original solicitors to purchase the property to get them to search for the deeds. They will have a safe where they are kept. If they can’t find them then you can try asking for them to retrieve your file from storage. It’s probable that they may not have it any logner because they are only required under law society rules to keep them for 6 years. The file may say where the deeds were sent.

If you still cannot find them after searching the above then you should see a solicitor about making an applciatoin to register your interest in the property. If the deeds are not available then you would not get the form of title referred to as “absolute” and instead you would get “possessory tite”. This means the ttitle that you get when you do not have the deeds and so there is no documentary evidence of any adverse interests which may exists.

You can then upgrade the title to “absolute” when either the deeds are found or once 12 years have passed.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i thought i was paying for you to find the locatoin of my deeds documentation

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

This is a general question and answer site I'm afraid.

If you wish to instruct a solicitor to attempt to trace your deeds then you can do so by contacting them locally in the usual way and they will charge their hourly rate.

Please remember to rate my answer. I have told you how you can attempt to find them.