How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

We have been tenants of a private rental for 3 years. We paid

This answer was rated:

We have been tenants of a private rental for 3 years. We paid 1.5 months deposit which was 3,400 gbp. We had the house professionally cleaned. our three year tenancy finished on 1/3/13 and our landlord is refusing to pay back our deposit? We have tried to find out what he is unhappy with, but as yet have had no reply. What can we do next?

Thanks for your patience.

If you are occupying the property under an assured shorthold tenancy then your deposit was legally required to have been lodged in a tenancy deposit scheme.

The first thing you must do is request the tenancy deposit reference and the name of the scheme.

If the deposit has been lodged and you are not able to agree on deductions with the Landlord then you can refer the matter to the scheme’s dispute resolution service. All schemes have one and they can examine the deduction claim and then make a determination.

If the decoration is simply because they fancy it then they won’t be successful.

If the deposit has not be lodged in a scheme then you should immediately sue in county court to recover the whole amount. You would be successful.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX deposit is with the TDS. However, what I wanted to know is if there is a time frame in which, we should be advised of any issues the landlord has?





Hi Deborah,

Really, the landlord should either make you aware of any proposed deductions or return the deposit within 10 days of the tenancy ending.

If you are in dispute though then the deposit stays in the scheme until it is sorted out.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, if we do not hear within the 10 days and have chased on numerous occasions, do we have any legal rights?


yes, to sue them.