How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7675
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I live in a ground floor maisonette with my partner, I would

Customer Question

I live in a ground floor maisonette with my partner, I would like to add my partners name to the property deeds. what would be the cost of doing this and how long would it take.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Do you own a long leasehold interest rather than a simply residential assured shorthold tenancy?

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hello tom, my property has a 999 year lease agreement with the upstairs property, there is no morgage or monies owing on the property

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Why do you wish to add your partner's names to the title please?

It's not a paper exercise, she will actually obtian the interest in the property that you transfer to her..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

tom, I need her name on the deeds as i am applying for equity release

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Have you instructed a solicitor to act for you in the equity release?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

tom, I have not moved on the issue yet as i would like to know the cost or your advice. john.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

If there is no mortgage on the property then you can either get your solicitor to do it for you during the pre-contract stage of the equity release or you can do it yourself.

However, if she is going on the title to the property then she will presumed to have a 50% interest in the equity UNLESS you execute a declaration of trust declaring your specific percentages in it. A declaration of trust should be prepared by a solicitor so I would get them to do it during the pre-contract stage.

A solicitor should charge around £250+VAT for the transfer itself. However, if you are getting an equity release and they are also required to act on the equity release then you may be able to get a reduction on the transfer element it.

There will be a bit of variance around. Ask your equity release lender if they require you to instruct a solicitor, if they do approach local property firms and shop around.

If they do not but do require your partner to be on the title then you can either do yourself or phone around for the best fees.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,