How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

What can legally take place on a town or village green? I

Customer Question

What can legally take place on a town or village green? I am the owner of some land which is likely to be registered as one - IF the land is registered as one - what can actually take place on the land; is the use restricted ONLY to the locals - or could, perhaps 1000 people be able to turn up and use the land for recreational purposes?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.
Hello. This is my area. If the green is registered, it is more a case of what you can't do. For example, you can't drive over it, dig into it, lay anything on it or damage it in any way. To do so is a criminal offence. What constitutes damage and interference is a subjective matter. For example, driving a vintage car on for a village show probably will be seen as using the green for village recreational purposes, as would putting in a small picket fence, or football goals etc.

If 1,000 people turn up, depending on what they do, it is perfectly lawful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi so in theory we could make the locals aware that we (landowners) will be fully ready to promote some events which will bring a lot of people to the area to use the land ( perhaps an organised run around or something?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.
It's your land - so yes, provided it wouldn't damage the green if it is given protected status. Of course, anyone could do this if it becomes village green because it is then there for public use.