How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My neighbour has iven me a piece of her garden. Can we mark

Customer Question

My neighbour has iven me a piece of her garden. Can we mark the Deeds ourselves and get someone to witness it?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What information do you need?
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

The Law of
Property Act 1925 lays down a specific procedure for transfer of land which
must be evidenced in writing, signed by the parties, and must be by deed. The
deed must be witnessed and "delivered".

Once the transfer
deed has been signed (which, in this case will also need a plan) it then needs
to be registered at the land registry.

If your neighbour
has a mortgage, then the lender must consent to this and the lender must
discharge their mortgage over the piece of land which has been given to you.

Unless you have
experience of land transfers and conveyancing, this is really not a do it
yourself job and a solicitor will probably charge you about £500 plus VAT plus
the land registry fee. It really is about as much do it yourself job as taking
your own appendix out

Can I assist any
further with this? Please bear with me today and this weekend because I will be
online and off-line.

Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.