How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

I have a extension on my house with a extractor fan from my

Customer Question

I have a extension on my house with a extractor fan from my kitchen blowing down my wall on to the neighbours the fan has been there 10 years. the same neighbours have lived there over 20 years they have just bought there house off the local council and say I should move the fan as they have just laid a new patio .they said they have a right to cement it up if not removed.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello, is the fan overhanging or is it simply discharging steam etc, which then blows over their patio, in the wind?
JACUSTOMER-k959yh5n- :

the fan is discharging steam etc it blows onto my wall down wards and on to there patio via wind .

wingrovebuyer : Thanks. I think the neighbour is talking nonsense. They do not have the right to block up your vent if it is not overhanging their property. If it has been discharging over their land for ten years (even if owned by another party then) it means there is no way they can enforce a breach of buildings regulations against you, even if it was originally a breach. You can't be responsible for wind direction, so I'd tell them that you appreciate their concerns, but they chose to put a patio n that position when your vent has been there for ten years, and any attempt to block the vent will be reported to the police as criminal damage.
wingrovebuyer : Hello, do you require further assistance?