How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cityguru Your Own Question
cityguru, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
cityguru is online now

I have been employed for 21 yrs by an international company

Customer Question

I have been employed for 21 yrs by an international company and have been expatriated for around 12 yrs on various postings.
It seems my role will become redundant by year end and would like to know the basic UK terms for this.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Can you explain what you mean by expatriated? Do you mean you work abroad? If so where is the company based and where is your permanent residence ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

The Professional has posted an Information Request above - this means they need more information before they can try to answer your question.

Once they have the information they need, they will be able to help you.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i work in dubai now but the company is an anglo/dutch multinational.

I'm now 50 yrs old. Im from the UK worked in singapore and dubai for the same company

Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
If you are wholly employed overseas and are not UK based then you may not be eligible for UK redundancy payments. UK employment law only applies if your employment is in the uK or has a substantive UK connection.

UK statutory redundancy is based upon a weeks pay. You get a week or a week and a half per complete year of employment. It is a week and a half for any year in which you were over the age of 41. so you would be entitled to around 24 weeks pay depending in the precise dates.

A weeks pay is capped at £430.

A lot of employers have a more generous redundancy policy ( particularly public sector employer ) and it can vary quite widely from statutory to a month a year up to a max of 2 or 3 years pay.

If the employer has a redundancy policy then ti should be made available to you.