How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

about 2 years ago my husband, who was severely disabled and

Customer Question

about 2 years ago my husband, who was severely disabled and did not work for 10 years, decided to move to a care home, for which, I believe, he was assessed by a local rep. He decided that he does not want me to be part of his life since and we had very little contact since that time till today when I've recieved a letter Land Register stating that he had applied to register a notice to protect home rights.
I pay mortgage on my own as well as made contribution for care.
What could be possible consequences of this action. thanks for your time
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer
would not be accurate.

Please confirm that the house is in yr sole name.


How long have you been married? Children under 18?



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
The immediate consequence of the action is that you cannot mortgage or dispose of the property without the knowledge and agreement of your husband.
It is a way of protecting matrimonial assets so that they are not disposed of and will not otherwise have any consequences for you.
As to what claim (if any) your husband actually has on the property - that is a matter for a court to decide if you cannot negotiate an agreement
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello and thanks for the contact. Yes the mortgage is on my name only.

We are merried for 17 years, no children under 18 and no children as a couple,

please help, regards, Antonina Sculthorp

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the mortgage is basedd on interest only and the borrowings were £230,000, thank you for your time,

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How much is the house itself worth