How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My partner and I have split up and have placed our jointly

Customer Question

My partner and I have split up and have placed our jointly owned house in wales (UK) on the market, we are not married and have no children. I currently work abroad so the estate agent is dealing with my partner directly. We recently received an offer for the house which I would of happily accepted due to the fact that I have now moved out and work away and my ex partner will be out of work in 2 months time leaving me with the financial responsibilities of the house we own jointly. Where do I stand legally if I want to accept an offer and she does not. Considering I will have to pay the mortgage as she is unemployed. Can she legally turn it down without my consent and vise versa
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Is the property owned as tenants in common?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are not married and have no children but the mortgage is in both of our names.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

If she wont accept a reasonable offer, the court will set the price based on advice from 3 local agents and order her to pay costs of the court application.

At this stage she has no incentive to leave or sell as she is living free of charge!


You can tell her that you will ask the court to order mortgage payments you made deducted from her share. You are not responsible for mortgage or bills ofa house you don't live in, just to the lender.