How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am contacting you on behalf of my son who, at the moment,

Customer Question

I am contacting you on behalf of my son who, at the moment, is in work. He has lived in his current rental property for ten years but the landlord has given him notice because he is now selling it. He has applied for,& been put on a short list, for social housing. He put in a bid for a property & needs a reference from his current landlord who told him they need the social housing company to apply for it. The social housing say they cannot apply themselves as it would breach confidentiality. How can my son get the required reference as he is on notice to quit from his current landlord

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

AlexWatts2013 : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. For now please let me know has the landlord refused to provide this?
JACUSTOMER-yqui6zsa- :

Dear Mr Watts,

JACUSTOMER-yqui6zsa- :

As I said in my original note, my son's landlord will not give my son a reference to him directly but only to the social housing organization( who has the rental flat that my son wants) When my son told this to the social housing organization, they said they cannot contact my son's current landlord themselves as this is against confidentiality. So my son cannot get the required reference because his current landlord said the social housing organization has to apply to them for the reference and the social housing organization said this would contravene confidentiality, therefore they cannot do this. So my son cannot get a reference because neither organization will budge, in spite of my son's request. How can he get a reference. Please note, he has lived in his current flat for ten years.

JACUSTOMER-yqui6zsa- :

Dear Alex Watts,

You asked me if the landlord will not give my son a reference. The landlord will not give a reference directly to him, but only to the social housing org. who has a flat my son wants. The social housing org. say they themselves cannot contact his landlord for a reference for my son, as this would breach confidentiality. So the problem is, the landlord wants the housing org. to apply to them for my son's reference but the housing org. say they cannot apply to the landlord for a reference for my son, as this
breaches confidentiality. So in reply to you query, no, his landlord will not give my son a reference, only to the housing org. who has to apply.How can this be resolved, as my son will have this same problem regarding any flat he goes after. Please note, my son has lived in his current flat for ten years. I would appreciate a swift reply as his landlord is selling the flat & has
given my son notice to quit.

AlexWatts2013 :

What your son can do is write and give consent that matters are discussed and it can therefore be handled on his behalf. All he needs to do is sign a letter of consent and this would allow the parties to make contact and the reference obtained. All it needs is a letter of consent from your son.

AlexWatts2013 :

If this fully resolves your question then please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex