How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I am trying to let a commercial property. It is on half an

Customer Question

I am trying to let a commercial property. It is on half an acre with a steel workshop.
I shall let the property to store fairground equipment and put his own residential caravan on site. What tenancy agreement would I need.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
How long will the person be renting it for?
What kind of security do you want them to have?
Would you want them to be able to stay for ever if they pay rent or do you want to be able to get them off at will?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to start with a 6 month contract and should the rent not be paid on time I would like to have the right contract to be able to get him off.


I believe a shorthold tenancy that I would use for the houses I let would not be suitable as its a housing act.


I let another piece of land but he does not live on site so for him I used a license to occupy



Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
You need a licence to occupy.
You need to make sure that the licence states exactly
what he can do and can’t do,
what happens to repairs,
what he pays for, services etc,
the rent is payable whether you have demanded it or not,
rent is payable by standing order and/or in advance and on what period,
consider rent review
no subletting
no sharing the accommodation
he must not have exclusive possession as otherwise it becomes a lease and then he has tenants rights. This is probably the most important of the lot. So, make sure that you have the right to enter at any time
he was not applied for planning permission without your consent.
He must not direct any buildings of a permanent nature without your consent.
He must not cause waste
it must say that he has to vacate the and leave it in good condition when he leaves
it needs to state what notice you can give and what notice he must give
it was specifically say that no lease is created, and even if a lease is created, it is contracted out to the 1954 landlord and tenant act.
He mustn’t dump rubbish or have fires.
He must indemnify you in respect of any breaches of planning consent or any others breaches of statutory regulations
Unless you know what you are doing, you would be better off spending the £600 or £700 that a solicitor would charge in getting the tenant to pay that.
Remember that even more students spend of a week at college doing this one topic alone and you are trying to cover it in 10 minutes.
Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,