How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12087
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

my wife and I have overpaid to Scottish gas considerably over

Customer Question

my wife and I have overpaid to Scottish gas considerably over the past four years for both the electric account and gas account. we took it to the ombudsman, and for some reason they stated the electric bill was about 440 pounds, but then for some strange reason said I had paid less than 440 pounds, when we clearly showed bank statements showing 800 plus pounds paid, also they refused to look at the gas account due to we had not specifically mentioned it in my original complaint.

Now Scottish gas are trying to steal more money off us, and refusing to discuss the fact they owe us money.

So we need to take them to court, we are living in china, and it is going to cost us a lot of money and loss of earnings to come back and deal with this, also they have put bad marks against our name on my credit rating, we want the gas and electric accounts corrected, we want all costs to myself returned including loss of earning for the time required to return to the UK, and we also want compensation for the disgusting treatment we have received from them.

can you help or how can we find someone who can help us.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
You will have to sue British Gas in the small claim court if the claim is less than £3000. You have to consider whether it's worth doing so on a commercial basis in the small claim court can only make a token award of costs if you are successful in the action. Nor can the court compensate you for your treatment or loss of earnings. All the court can do is make an award for any overpayment and about £150 towards your expenses.

I would change provider and move on as you may be throwing good money after bad by going to court.

Happy to discuss further.