How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

Hi. I have a top floor flat and share the freehold with three

Customer Question

Hi. I have a top floor flat and share the freehold with three other flats. The roof leaks and is causing damage to the walls and ceiling. The secretary of the company that looks after the flats has been aware of the problem for over a year, but will not set anything in motion. No quotes, no section 20. Is there anything I can do if the other freeholders refuse to pay their share of the repair?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Do you have a copy of your lease and can you afford to pay for repair yourself, at least for now?
JACUSTOMER-z1j17wo0- :

my solicitor had the lease and the freehold ahreement. it says that befor any repairs ate done the money has to be collectef up front. the cost at this time will be £4000, but ;my builder expects 9000.tjat the cost will rise to £

JACUSTOMER-z1j17wo0- :

ps £9000 if we have a wet winter and the roof timbers rot out.

wingrovebuyer : Thanks. Do you know why your solicitor has said you should pay? What's his justification?