How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I have handed in my one months noitice to quit, even though

Customer Question

I have handed in my one months noitice to quit, even though I have no tenancy contract. Do I have to right to refuse my landlord entry to start building works whilst I am still living here ? These works are not for my benefit but for next tenant, although I have been requesting them for the last 6 months. My landlord is extremely unreasonable and is making my remaining tenancy very unbearable.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

The landlord does have a right to entry into the property for reasonable purposes. Reasonable purposes would include things like showing a new tenant around or dealing with emergencies etc.

If he is just doing repairs though then he cannot do that during your occupation without offering a rent reduction. He has to wait until you have left.

In principle you could refuse him access for that reason. If he gains access then that would be trespass and you could sue although I can understand that you would probably prefer not to.

Can I clarify anything for you?