How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2457
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Hi I need to know what rights I have to enter a property to

Customer Question

Hi I need to know what rights I have to enter a property to retrieve mine and my childrens things. Myself and my partner are joint tennants on a property, we have split up and he has forced me and the kids to leave. I am currently sleeping on a fold out bed in my dads office. He took my keys from me and would not allow me access to the property to get my clothes and personal belongings. I obtained a key from the landlord and went while he was at work following advice from the police to avoid confrontation. All I took were my clothes and memory boxes from the cellar. I did not touch anything of his or leave any mess etc. I also did not get the childrens things as I thought he would surely hand these over. Unfortunately he got very angry that I had managed to do this without his consent. He then added bike chains etc to doors and changed locks to prevent me getting anything else. I have spoken to the police and they advised me to put in writing everything I wanted from the house and arrange a time and date for collection. They would then give me an escorting officer to facilitate this. I have jumped through all of these hoops and he will not agree anything, he said I'll answer u Friday night. I said that this would not leave any time for me to arrange a van etc as I had suggested Tues evening. He said I'll answer u then and if u don't like it get a solicitor. Please help I just want the furniture I am still paying for I have not asked for anything else, he is laffing at me and knows that there is nothing I can do. There must b something, I'm a tennant at the property until 4th December
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare and I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first?
For clarity your Landlord has said you may break it so long as you make good any damage done?