How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi im looking to buy an ex housing association ground floor

Customer Question

im looking to buy an ex housing association ground floor flat its lease hold I spoke to the association today and they told me that I am only really buying the walls ceiling and floor of the inside and that they will own the outer walls and any work carried out to the out side walls is done buy them, as it is a block of 2 the bill for any work to the out side would be split between myself and them can this be right many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Yes they are correct, with a lease you own the flat itself but the landlord is responsible for the fabric of the building itself.
Alex Watts : Generally if for example the block needs to be reroofed that cost is shared between the owners.
Alex Watts : You pay a service charge which goes towards the upkeep of the building?
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?