How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71128
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

After sharing my council flat with my brother and his girlfriend

This answer was rated:

After sharing my council flat with my brother and his girlfriend they failed to pay the money I gave them to pay the rent and have changed the locks so I cannot access the property. Now the council are saying I was sub-letting and want to prosecute me even though my brother and his girlfriend are still occupying the flat. Where do I stand please
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Did you tell the council they were there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to add I am the brother in law of this person trying to help......As far as I am aware they all went to the council to ask permission and was granted it. whether there is any written proof or not I am not sure

OK. Thanks.

Did you tell the council that they were there?

Were they named on the agreement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know if they were named on the agreement


Ok. Thanks.

The Council are saying that you are subletting to them. You clearly deny that and your account would amount to a defence.

Obviously if you were subletting then that would be unlawful as nobody can sublet social housing.

You say that you are not subletting but just letting them occupy with you and they have excluded you effectively. If that is right then that is not subletting.

This is really a simple dispute over fact.

The truth is that they could prosecute you. The real question is whether they would succeed or not anyway rather than whether they would prosecute.

To succeed they will have to prove subletting. The Court would look at all the evidence in the case. If you reported them being there then that will be helpful. If there is no sign of your living elsewhere then that would be useful. If there is any evidence that you've taken money then that will be damaging obviously

I imagine your brother probably isn't going to give evidence in their favour anyway though.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My sister in Law did often stay at her boyfriends but in the same town 5 mins away Does that warrant living elsewhere?

Not really. Not unless that was her primary address.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’