How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71138
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

hello, i am writing to you because we left our previous flat

This answer was rated:

hello, i am writing to you because we left our previous flat 4 weeks ago and we cannot get the security deposit back. it seems that the rental agency never protected our security deposit by putting the money on the government's account
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to get your advice on how to make sure they reimburse us. Can we take actions/threaten to take actions in order to get our money back? What exactly are the steps we should take if we wanted to take action? Thanks

WAs this an assured shorthold tenancy agreement please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not know what this means. we signed a lease for 12 months with a breaking clause after 6 months. we had a contract, signed by both parties


That is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement then and the deposit should have been protected.

If it was not then you can claim three times the sum of the deposit although the practical reality is that you only likely to get the original deposit sum back. I have never yet seen a court order any more.

If the deposit wasn't protected then you can't complain to the scheme but you can sue at the small claims court. You can issue here

as you are basically seeking a cash payment.

You will get something back even if its not three times the sum.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes one more thing please: how/where can we denounce the letting agency to the authorities, letting them know that the letting agent does not comply with law? Thanks

I suppose if they are a member you could report them here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there no overarching government entity that would take this kind of complaints/that checks whether letting agents are compliant? Thanks a lot

No, these are private agents and not Government controlled.

Their professional body has a little impact but not a lot.

Normally you just either complain to the scheme or sue them.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you