How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2456
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I own a leasehold property as a landlord. It is the downstairs

Customer Question

I own a leasehold property as a landlord. It is the downstairs flat of a converted house. The owner of the upstairs flat also owns the freehold. The tenant of the upstairs flat caused substantial water damage to my flat. This resulted in the removal of the ceiling. Through his insurance, the freeholder will reimburse the costs incurred. Three months later, it has not been possible to make repairs for a variety of reasons, including a second leak from upstairs.

However, because of the damage and inconvenience to my tenants I negotiated a rent reduction with them. I believe I have a case to claim for my loss of rent against the owner of the upstairs flat through the county court. Do you think I might be successful?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How did the water damage come about?