How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10731
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I own a country property with a large garden and have owned

This answer was rated:

I own a country property with a large garden and have owned it and lived in it for12years, but now my father claims that a certain part of the garden belongs to him as he has a business next door that is now for sale, but the particulars and boundaries state that the garden belongs with my property, can you give me any advice and has he a right to a certain part of the garden even though I have been looking after it for 12 years

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.


Could you please confirm that the land in question is fenced in and forms part of your property and therefore under your possession?




Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it forms my boundary it is a conifer hedge that's been there for approx 25 years




Thanks for your reply.


If the land in question is shown as belonging to you on your Deeds, then this land belongs to you UNLESS a third party can show that they have possessed and maintained the land themselves without interference from the true owner for 10 years or more.


From what you have told me, therefore, your Father has no claim whatsoever over this land.


(Even if the Deeds indicate that the land belongs to his neighbouring property, as you have possessed the land and used it as your own, you would be entitled to apply to the Land Registry for what is called "possessory title").


I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.


Kind Regards




Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you