How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

We live in a new block of flats - NHBC have agreed a claim

This answer was rated:

We live in a new block of flats - NHBC have agreed a claim for reconstructing parts of the roof which leak water - the residents are having to pay a builder for the reconstruction

As it is a new block of flats, do the residents have to pay vat on the reconstruction costs as vat was not paid on the original construction

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Is this work classified as correcting an original or inherent fault with the new build? Ie the roof leaks because it wasn't properly completed in the first place?
Customer: I confirm relates to a building fault as it wasn't properly completed in the first place
Customer: i look forward to hearing from you further
Customer: kind regards
Customer: Michael Field
wingrovebuyer : Hi Michael. If this work relates to a defect with the original build, then it will face that same vat treatment as a new build ie zero rated.
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you