How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

During the high winds last night two very large branches from

Customer Question

During the high winds last night two very large branches from one of our neighbours trees came down on our fence causing serious damage (its actually the fence between our property and a third parties property). Who is responsible for the repair of the damaged fence and the removal of the branches?

Also the same tree has a significant amount of roots in our property, all basically on the surface. Clearly this makes the tree potentially unstable and could possibly come down on our garage. Is our neighbour responsible for the removal of these roots (and the reinstatement of our garden) and the ensuring the tree is safe?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 4 years ago.

chatham-chamber :


chatham-chamber :

Where is the tree situated, is it in the neighbour's property?

JACUSTOMER-dyiykt9p- :

Yes....the tree is situated in the neighbours property.

chatham-chamber :

Hi, if the damage was caused due to the tree situated in the neighbours property, I am of the opinion that the neighbour would be responsible for making good any damage.

chatham-chamber :

You can either ask the neighbour to arrange for the damage to be repaired, or you can have the damage repaired and then send a copy of the invoice to the neighbour demanding payment.

chatham-chamber :

If you have home insurance, y

chatham-chamber :

you should check whether this situation would be covered. It may be that your insurers may deal with everything through the neighbour's insurers.

chatham-chamber :

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.

chatham-chamber :

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

chatham-chamber :

Many thanks,

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,