How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi there, this question has to do with capital gains tax. My

Customer Question

Hi there, this question has to do with capital gains tax. My son has recently got married. Before he was married his girlfriend now wife owned 2 properties of which one she lived in and one was a buy to let.He owned one property which was his home. Now they our married will he get taxed on his sale when he sells... Although married they still live apart at there own properties until he sells his house. It doesn't seem fair that when he got married he lost his residential gains allowance? Is there anyway round this? Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
As he still lives in his house as his main residence he will pay no tax when he sells.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if I can help you further here. If not please leave a positive feedback so that I am credited for my time.