How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a commercial tenant with no lease. Can he apply for

Customer Question

I have a commercial tenant with no lease. Can he apply for planning permission and carry out building work without my permission. Also can he apply to change conditions of the original planning.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : He can apply but he can not do any work without your permission. If he does then you can either evict for breach of lease, sue for damage or seek an injunction to stop him
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer : he doesent have a lease to breach ??
Customer : also what about changing the original conditions of the planning permission. He is breaching about six conditions and is about to be contacted by the planners. can he apply to change the conditions and if so can he operate as he is until the decision is made.
Customer : I think this system is having problems
Alex Watts : You can get him out at any time as he does not have a lease.
Alex Watts : Unless you have given permission he can not so anything to alter the building.
Alex Watts : So any changes he must get your approval.
Alex Watts : If he does not you can seek a court order to evict him and indeed an injunction to stop him doing anything else.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer : What's the procedure for injunction etc.
Alex Watts : You need to see a solciotor for that as there are complex rules and forms to fill out.
Alex Watts : In short you complete forms N1 and N16a from the court service website.
Alex Watts : i hope this helps.
Customer : So if the tenant has no lease it's easy to evict he pays his rent ?
Alex Watts : Very easy. He has a tenancy at will and can be excited quite easily.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer : Yes thanks
Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’. Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: