How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I live in a semi=detached bungalow a year ago my neighbour

Customer Question

I live in a semi=detached bungalow a year ago my neighbour reconfigured the layout of his home following building an extension to his property with full planning permission. He relocated his bathroom from it's original position against an outside wall to adjacent to the party wall with me. At the time I expressed concerns of potential noise but he said I wouldn't hear anything and completed the work. From the outset I could hear the extractor fan but then almost a year later (September last year) he installed a shower over his bath which is situated against the party wall. I am now subjected to water pressure noise whenever anyone takes a shower which can be heard not only in the adjacent bedroom but also my lounge so I believe the noise is travelling along the party wall. I have spent the past 3 months trying to get the problem sorted with my neighbour and the local council who where aware of my concerns before work commenced. I have employed a builder who has made the the party wall in the loft which was of only breeze block construction and not insulated at all in the hope this would reduce the water pressure noise but alas to no avail. What are my legal rights please?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. I am a lawyer with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this. YOu say you have sent the past 3 months trying to to sort out the porblem with the Council and the neighbour. How have you done this and what was the response? How did you espress your initial concerns about noise was it in writing or verbally?

JACUSTOMER-rsx984pr- :

My initial concerns of potential bathroom noise where expressed when the council planning dept contacted me prior to planning permission being granted on the extension (planning permission was not required for the relocation of the bathroom) I had no specific concerns about the extension itself but was very concerned about the relocation of the bathroom to adjacent to the party wall and this was by email vial their website. I then expressed the same concerns verbally with my neighbour who then told me at that time I wouldn't hear anything. Since last September when the potential bathroom noise became a reality I have been in contact over this matter with the council in a face to face meeting with the councillor at my home and by telephone, letter and email the the council offices.

JACUSTOMER-rsx984pr- :

I have already stated all this in my original enquiry

JACUSTOMER-rsx984pr- :

What are my legal rights?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay.

Did you want to know something specific about this please?