How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi Alex I have a dispute with a letting agency that was managing

This answer was rated:

Hi Alex
I have a dispute with a letting agency that was managing a property on my behalf. I have repeatedly asked them to pay over a tenants bond as part compensation for unpaid rent and damage but I have had no response other than acknowledgement by junior staff of receipt of recent written requests. I have since discovered that at the time the agency placed the tenants in the property there were two outstanding County Court judgements against one of them. Because of this I believe the agency was in breach of contract and should be liable for all the losses incurred from that tenancy (approx. £2,100). Given the lack of response I am not sure what to do next.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court. The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : The agents sound like they are in breach of section 13 of the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 by filing to act with all reasonable skill and care.

Thanks Alex, I think I can take it from there.


Can I follow up with this though. A previous tenant also left the property in a poor state needing extensive cleaning, redecoration and repair. Some of the decoration was done professionally but the cleaning, repairs and other decoration was doe by myself and my wife. the agency told us that we couldn't claim for the time we had spent restoring the house to habitable condition. We could only charge for what was billed to us. Is that correct?

Alex Watts : Well you can charge a reasonable amount for reasonable work done. If you had not done it, the work would have been needed to be done by someone else and you would have been charged for that.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you