How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cityguru Your Own Question
cityguru, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
cityguru is online now

We have been renting a house for 10 months of the agreed 1

Customer Question

We have been renting a house for 10 months of the agreed 1 year teneancy at a monthly rent of £1350, we have asked to extend it for a further 6 months which he has agreed to but say the rent is to go upto £1500 per month. This is a big jump, can he do this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Yes. there is no rent control in this country. You can of course refuse - it is a matter of negotiation but if you have no option to extend under the existing lease then it is up to the landlord. I wold refuse myself - he is bound to incur expenses reletting etc so it is in his interests to retain you as tenant.