How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 13339
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We are buying a new build house in Scotland using Help to Buy. The

This answer was rated:

We are buying a new build house in Scotland using Help to Buy.

The solicitor said they will need evidence of the source of any money for the deposit.

Is it OK to say that the money is a gift from my parents? Or will that make us look bad (like we couldn't save the money ourselves)?
No, the solicitors just have to know where the money came from for audit purposes under the Law Society Money Laundering Regulations. The solicitor has to know that the money did not come from the proceeds of crime. So of course it's OK that your parents gifted you the money. You just have to give your solicitor evidence that that is the case. Don't worry about this. It's just regulation.

Enjoy your new home.
JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you