How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Are Local Councils required by european law to provide and

This answer was rated:

Are Local Councils required by european law to provide and Environmental Impact Assessment for any planning application? Or are there specific categories of application for which the EIA is required? When was this introduced?
This was introduced into law in 1988 and applies to new developments.

The current regulations are The Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations 2011. You can read these online here:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I have looked a the legislation and I didn't feel it was very clear, which is why I was asking for legal help.


The specific example I have in mind is the development of a marina where it has been highlighted that there are levels of heavy metals in the silt. Part of the planning application was to move the silt. Would you expect that there would need to be and EIA as part of the planning process undertaken by the local council?


Kind regards



Yes, that would be the type of development that would require that kind of assessment.
JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you