How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Scenario: Several UK based owners (4/5) have not paid their

This answer was rated:

Scenario: Several UK based owners (4/5) have not paid their 2013 maintenance duties in respect of their apartments which are located in Bulgaria. They owe on average about £250-£300 each. We have taken all reasonable action via email and letter to recover the monies owed

The Owners management committee are considering taking these owners through small claims procedures here in the UK.

Is this the best avenue open to us and secondly is there a debtors list that we can check to establish are we likely to get paid?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your accounts due and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.


If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.


The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. As they have flats once you get CCJ you can enforce it by a charging order, which means the debt will become secure.


If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.


Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.


Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:


Is there a database of county court judgements that I can access prior to going to small claim? if some of these guys are already debtors I assume there is little point in chasing them.

Alex Watts : Yes you can go to
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : Does that help?


Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you