How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hello, I live in a council rented property, I recently discovered

This answer was rated:

Hello, I live in a council rented property, I recently discovered that the boundary fence line was moved by the neighbours prior to myself moving in 12 years ago. I am currantly going through the pain stakingly slow process of getting the boundary fence back into the correct position.
My question is this, Am I entiltled to any compensation or monies to be paid back to me for the land that I have not had over the past 12 years?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : No.
Alex Watts : This is because I assume you have not rented the house out so not suffered any loss of rental.
Alex Watts : But can you claim damages, sadly not.
Alex Watts : You have no loss save for loss of use.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please

So am I correct in saying that there is nothing I can claim back for the land I have not had?


Is this due to it being a coucil property rather than a private landlord?

Alex Watts : You can claim back the land yes.
Alex Watts : But you can't claim compensation for it being in the wrong place.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

What about a rent rebate of sorts? I have paid rent on that land that someone else has had the use of that they have deliberately moved. Is there nothing I can do?

Alex Watts : Sadly not, you are just after possession,
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything?

no, thanks for your help

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you