How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

Our neighbour has built a side extension on the property boundary

This answer was rated:

Our neighbour has built a side extension on the property boundary and now wants to install a cooker hood that will extract into our side alley way. Is this legal?

We have opening windows into our alleyway. There was no mention of this in the party wall agreement.

They will need access to do this.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

If there is no mention of what they're proposing to do in the Party Wall Act agreement, then they cannot do it. Was this dealt with by agreement between the parties or by a formal award by a surveyor?


By agreement between the parties

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then can you reach agreement about this do you think?

tdlawyer :

It seems that there are two grounds on which you could challenge what they're proposing to do. (1) that you have no agreed it in the party wall agreement and thus it cannot be done and (2) that it would amount to a nuisance and interfere with your reasonable enjoyment of your property.

tdlawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you