How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I am a freeholder and in the lease of one of the flats it states.

Customer Question

I am a freeholder and in the lease of one of the flats it states.
Property register of the of the Lessor's said Title to HOLD the demised premises unto the Lessee for a Term of Years from and including the date hereof to and including 31st December 2181 YIELDING AND PAYING therefore unto the Landlord the yearly rent of a peppercorn (if Demanded) by way of further or additional rent the service charge as hereinafter defined.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you are asking what a peppercorn rent is, it is 5 pence per year, and hence no rent is practically payable by the Tenant.

Please let me know if you require any clarification.

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok but in the lease it does not state that I am not entitled to request it.

So is there a law that state I must not or can I charge if I want to?



Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!