How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a Freeholder and the tenant is selling the flat. the

Customer Question

I am a Freeholder and the tenant is selling the flat.
the prospective buyer's solicitor is asking

Please advise whether any tenants have taken steps to:
(a) Enfranchise the Lease
(b) Extend the Lease Term
(c) Exercise the “right to manage”
(d) Form a company in connection with the above.

What does enfranchise a business mean?

the actual tenant has extended the lease. does that mean that they have forfeited the right to manage. when can some one exercise the right to manage?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
Enfranchisement is about buying a share of the freehold.
The right to manage is about managing a block of flats
From what you have said the answer to a c and d is no and to b is yes.