How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

I am applying for a certificate of lawful use on a commercial

This answer was rated:

I am applying for a certificate of lawful use on a commercial property. I want to ask the council to see their planning file on the property how do I go about this ?

wingrovebuyer : Hello. You should be able to simply contact your local Council's planning department and ask them for the planning summary. Such a summary normally forms part of a Local Search, one of the searches lawyers do when buying property. Accordingly, your council should be able to supply this easily, as it is a record they will maintain. It's likely they will make a charge for this, probably around £20. Hope this helps, WB
Customer: The planning inspectors have visited the site over the years is it possible to see the reports they have made.
wingrovebuyer : Planning Inspectors? Do you mean Planning Officers from the Council? If so, yes, you should be able to see the files - you can make a request, but say that it is also made under the Freedom of Information Act as this should mean you get the paperwork more quickly. Best, WB
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you