How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I own a two bedroom furnished flat in Edinburgh which I rent

Customer Question

I own a two bedroom furnished flat in Edinburgh which I rent out to 2 tenants. I have already served them their notice as they have not been paying council tax for 2 years. I have now discovered they have been renting out one bedroom as a B&B for the last two years and just started advertising it again. This is against their tenancy agreement, my council registration and no doubt my insurance. Should I phone them and tell them to stop or must I write a letter? What can I do about this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
You should do both. Phone them and confirm it in writing. This is the better ground to evict them as the fact that they are not paying council tax is not your problem. The council can't hold you liable.