How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I had to employ a solicitor to fight the council who were charging

Customer Question

I had to employ a solicitor to fight the council who were charging me council tax on my rented property against the terms of my tenants, tenancy agreement. I had to finally phone the council several times myself before they realised they were making a mistake. Can I claim the fees for my solicitor off the council as it was their mistake in the first place and they clearly didn't read the information supplied until many emails and calls before they refunded me?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately you can't as a matter of law. The council might make an ex gratia payment if you complain to your local councillor but there is no law for recovery of legal fees except where court proceedings are involved.

Happy to discuss further.