How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I Am buying my ex out of our shared property. How to proceed

This answer was rated:

I Am buying my ex out of our shared property. How to proceed to take her name of the title deeds? We agree on this and are very amicable. Is a quit claim the answer?
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Property value: £152000
Outstanding balance mortgage: £120000
I agreed with my ex that I buy her out and give her £15000
Have you checked that the Mortgage Company will release her from the Mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I havent
There are no "Quit Claims" in the Uk
Your starting point is to apply to the Mortgage Company for your ex to be released form the mortgage.
If they agree then the matter is dealt with by way of the Transfer of the property into your sole name upon payment of the money to your ex.
If for whatever reason the mortgage company will not agree then provided your ex is willing to remain named on the mortgage you can go ahead by way of a Declaration of Trust confirming that whilst the property is held in joint names it is held for your benefit alone - and you are responsible for the mortgage
However this is not a good position for your ex
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you