How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi I am getting divorced & wish to transfer the title deeds

Customer Question

Hi I am getting divorced & wish to transfer the title deeds into my sole name . Approximately
how much will this cost ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Do you own the property jointly with your spouse?

Do they consent to this?

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes there is a mortgage he is paying half of it off for me . They have consented & this has been approved by the court . It is owned jointly .


Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If it is ordered by the court and you have the consent to it from the lender then it will be fairly straight-forward.

Depending on the value of the property you can expect a solicitor/conveyancer to charge in the region of £300-450 for this since the transaction is very straight forward.

It’s also the type of thing that would be done for a fixed fee and I would recommend phoning round local solicitors to ask for their fixed fee quotes and simply go with the cheapest one. The reality is that if there is a court order then it’s really bread-and-butter stuff, so there won’t be a particularly big difference in the quality of service that you get.

Disbursements that you would have to pay regardless of the firm that you instruction would be:-
Land Registry Official Copies & filed plan, £6.00.
Bankruptcy Search, £2.00 per person
Land Registry Official Search, £3.00
Land Registry Registration Fee, £50-240 depending on the value of the consideration.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,