How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71261
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

what can i do if excluded tenants refuse to leave my house

This answer was rated:

what can i do if excluded tenants refuse to leave my house after notice to quit(in writing has expired
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you mean an excluded occupier? So they live in your house?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they live in my house and share the kitchen and bathroom with me


I presume they do go outside sometimes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they do go outside but: I allowed them to fit a lock on their bedroom door and the refused to give me a key. Also the girl's parents are also lodgers here and as far as I know they plan to stay. The parents came first, a few months later the young couple moved in.

Have you given notice to all of them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Only t the young couple. The parents were very annoyed and said they would be leaving, but I did not give them notice to quit (had no reason to) and know they are finding difficult to get another place in the same area

Thanks for the information

If you have given notice to them in writing then you can just wait until they go out and change the locks behind them. These people are just lodgers not tenants and they do not have nearly the protection that AST tenants do. You do not need a court order to evict them.

Also, if they have added locks to the bedroom doors then they are free to do that but you are entitled to a copy of the key. If none has been provided then you could replace the entire lock and sue for the costs here

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I asked if it would be possible to get the door off its hinges (after end of notice to quit) at a time when one of the is in and the door is open and also to remove their furniture to the patio